White Lightning Axiom: Redux: 210 miles

Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

210 miles

Today, the PM on the project (of which I am totally in over my head) is reviewing a technical requirements design document with the client. This is a bit peculiar for me since I have very little back-story on the application and here I am, writing the requirements for the client. Every time I think about it, I get a bit ill to my stomach. I have a prescient belief that this will not go well unless the client is completely vapid about their desires. Of course, that has proven to be true on multiple occasions. If you have a discussion with a contractor that boils down to 'Tell me what I want', it's like giving a recidivist crack-head the keys to a pharmacy and asking him to 'medicate prudently'. I really do feel sorry for the CFO and the COO of this company.

Last night, after a successful swimming engagement, the kids and I were backing up the mile-long driveway to the Haupertonain Docking Bay and Fleet Reclamaition Center when Jacob blurts out 'I want to see the Ducks'. Wha? Ummm, we can watch Little Einsteins after dinner. He kept pressing his demands till I finally caught on. Being the tunnel vision daddy type I am, I failed to notice that a Mallard and his life-long mate had returned to the neighborhood. Every year, this couple show up and produce NO offspring. Must be due to the lack of a water-body near-by and the ravages of the dastardly squirrels. I allow the pursuit of said fowl given that we hold hands. They, being wild ducks, are probably very timid but if they do have a nest about you cannot be entirely certain of their reaction to a couple of screaming tyrants bearing down on their offspring. After spending a bit of time in hot pursuit of the two waddling Peking potentials, they had enough and flew off to the other side of the street. Good, now I can get down the night's business. The Mrs came out at that time as well and the standard evening ritual commenced.

Side note: Not sure which of my over-indulgent activities was the root cause, but I've managed to pull a major muscle group in my back and it's making me onerous as all getout. From the base of my skull on the right side all the way down to the right clavicle and then from there to the center of the spine ... total knotted pain. Can't sleep, cannot look about at my bank of monitors, cannot get comfortable. Was it wrastling with the hounds to give them baths? Wrastling with the kids at swimming? Pulling weeds, laundry, wood splitting? Cleaning Gutters? Not sure but it's quite an impairment. I have some Acet/Cod #3 left over from the last time it happened, but I think that my general lack of consistent physical exercise is to blame for my 'infirmity'. Curses.

Historical Brain Damage note -- Phinneus Gage: His doctor described him as "manifesting little deference to his fellows, impatient of restraint or advice when it conflicts with his desires, at times pertinaciously obstinate, yet capricious and vacillating, devising many plans of future operations, which are no sooner arranged than they are abandoned.

Technorati Tags: | | |


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?