White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Breaking the back of infirmity

Thursday, November 10, 2005

 

Breaking the back of infirmity

Aside from being a bit off yesterday, work-based silliness was in high gear. One of the most notable fiascos was the attempt to switch 25 marketing reports from one database to a newer Linux Hosted Oracle instance which receives 4 updates a day. Getting to the point, the data in the existing db was not the same as the newer db. These 25 reports have about 2-15 sub-reports with each sub-report having up to 100,000 lines of data. Since the reports were slightly different due to the data replication issues, one of the boss guys here at the client site wanted me to find each of the report differences and give an explanation for each. Ummm, great. The worst thing is that since the databases are updated 4 times a day, any inconsistency for a report that runs for 10-12 hours will be long gone. It took a while to explain this and I ended up spending 1 hour on 1 report to show in detail what the road-blocks for investigating this were. The worst thing, the 2 different reports may have had 2 lines different, but they were in different order and thus made finding the differences nearly impossible. Painful at best. I love my job, really.

Traffic incident of the day? A tanker truck filled with paint pigment overturned on the Schuylkill Expressway and they had to shut it down all night. Fortunately, I was already well under way and did not experience and added discomfort on my commute. Speaking of discomfort, my fever broke last night. Good thing, since I had to abandon the kids with the Mrs after she got home. I was not in fighting form and the kids were taking advantage of that. While in my restless on and off sleep, I had some fairly peculiar waking dreams. I guess it goes with the territory, eh? SO off to work again this morning after climbing out from under the sweat sodden sheets. Ugh, I'll have to do laundry early this week.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?