White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Thursday drudge

Thursday, October 13, 2005

 

Thursday drudge

It's been a particularly busy day. This software suite port/test is really chewing me up something fierce. Almost as bad as what the crew outside is doing to the parking lot over the last few days. It started on Wednesday I believe. When I got to the client's site at 0745, I noticed that nearly all the early-arrivers had parked either in the front lot or the side lot. This was rather peculiar since the back lot (where all the handicap spots are) is much closer to the building entrance. There is a spot that I park in nearly every day where I can see the SuperSaturn from my corner office (next to the gym, loud music, grunts ... bad). Since I can see the spot, I can quickly find out if I have yet again left my lights on. It's getting to be quite dark in the morning and I'm starting to use my headlights again. But I digress. The parking lot seems to have been a giant sheet of asphalt that was plopped down over a couple of active surface springs. The water continually seeps up through the soil and has created a few cracks. Through these cracks, the moisture makes it to the surface and freezes during the winter creating large, permanent patches of ice over which many vehicles travel. Consequentially, if any of these cars moving at a high rate of speed try to stop or turn ... well, accidents happen. There has been a few damaged cars and some hot tempers exposed. So, the lot is closed, long trenches are dug up and drainage pipe is being laid. I am fairly certain that this will work, but these pipes are of the standard black PVC plastic you see and once a large truck parks over one of these buried treasures, they will slowly compress the installations and the asphalt will crumble. It will not be pretty. Glad I will not be here to witness this ominous prediction come to fruition. In the short term, I have to hobble across the packed parking log from another time-zone in the rain. I suppose it could be worse tough. It is only a place to park my car, not the building that is poorly constructed. Pakistan/Afghanistan comes to mind.

In much happier news, yesterday was the 'Little Gym' day for the kids. We dressed them in sweats and for 30 minutes, a gymnastic instructor shows the kids how to tumble, roll, swing and jump. Like it takes much prodding to get the Twin Tyrants to do any of that. I imagine that they probably launch shurikens and thowing stars at the feet of the instructor to see her dance! Dance! Whip-Zing! Whip-Thud!! Dance like you mean it! The Day-care professionals were provided with a disposable camera so they could document these events. Kind of like UN observers in pastel helmets. That was yesterday ... today is fire prevention day and a real live fireman (the fire chief for the township happens to have a child at the center) will be present. If they bring a dog, the kids will go ballistic. There is also an open house tonight at the fire company house which we will be attending. It's pizza night too. The kids should be sufficiently stimulated. We'll have to keep them away from any sugar to keep their heads from exploding. Personally, I'll just be glad that I'm one more day closer to the weekend.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?