White Lightning Axiom: Redux: sleep is for the dead

Sunday, September 04, 2005

 

sleep is for the dead

Vacation is going well, as long as it was not planned for me to actually get any rest or sleep. Of course, that was the PRIMARY plan. Men, mice, etc... The dogs spent a lot of time barking at deer and other nocturnal trespassers. I had to go down a couple time to admonish and cajole them to be quiet. It would be an early morning. With the entire contingent up here in NY, there was the usual raft of duties that had to be performed. So I was up at 0530 to let hounds out to ruin yet another patch of turf. There were an extraordinary number of new scents and smells to soak up so they were only interested in coming back in after I rattled some mastodon food about in their metal bowls. Ahhh, the siren song of their morning meal. Those kibbles don't stand a chance. They were in and chowing down in no time at all and I was off to go crawl back under the bed sheets ... I can dream, cant I?

At 0930, we had an appointment for Jacob to have his mop-top shorn. There is a lady barber up at the Grandparent's, Denny at Hairy Canary, that Jacob will stay statue still for. I don't know how she does it, but every where else we go It usually takes 3 people. Little wiggle worm. After the the tiny tyrants of turpitude got their hair trimmed, we left Grams behind to get her haircut and headed off to the Commons to look about. There were a few stores that the Mrs wanted to visit while Gramps and myself monitored the playground to make sure that our charges did not foment too much havoc. I stopped at a leather shop on the way back and picked out a new pair of boots to replace my current boots that are starting to wear thin on the sides. They are about 7 years old now and are nearing their 'end of life' deadline. I'm a bit surprised that there is an establishment of this nature in the liberal college town. PETA is a major force around here. Growing up in the mid-west, I was instilled with a more pragmatic and realistic view of cattle though. Warms the cockles of my heart to know that I'm helping support the store, they could probably use the sale since we were the only people in the shop. But enough of my proselytizing, there is breakfast to be had and merry-making to engage in at Cass Park. There was a Korean-American Business gathering there so the kids had plenty of inquisitive play-mates to mess about with. As the minority there, they were easy to identify so they quickly became the focal point of attention (and not just from the grandparents). After a time, the kids energy level started to flag and we packed it in. Keep 'em moving, keep 'em engaged, limit the potential for diversion from control. On the way back to the FOB, we make a quick detour and stop off at the local Agway. It's one of the last bastions representing rural America. This particular icon happens to have a grain silo with corresponding rail-road tracks, much to Jacob's delight. My delight came moments later when Gramps pointed out that they had a box of firebricks of the EXACT size I was looking for. EXACT. It was eerie. Of course, they only had one box of 10 but the wizened proprietor noted that they expected another box next Thursday. I think I'll be patronizing the establishment in the near future

Since we are planning on a visit to the NY state fair on Sunday, a Saturday evening mass is in order. The local parish has a scheduled 1630 gathering and that would seem to fit our purposes well. If it were not for Alexis's tender stomach, it would have been true. She fell asleep on my shoulder half way through the hour long mass and was incoherent on the way home. She kept whining and mumbling that she hurt 'Down there' but could not elaborate ... till she reproduced her meals for the entire day in a highly explosive fashion. Messy. The volume and spread of her expulsion will require that the child car-seats be removed, dismantled and washed before the next day. The Mrs is also in a bad way so I'm assuming it is the final throes of the virus they have been tussling with. I think the only reason I did not fall ill myself is due to my ability to fill my body to capacity with scotch and vodka. I think my 4 hour hang-over was a blessing in comparison to the viral impact the rest of the Haupertonian clan is coping with ... poorly.

After putting both the Sickened Mrs and the Ailing Alexis to bed, the grandparents, Jake and myself eat a bit of dinner and generally putter about the house till Jake starts to display signs of exhaustion. It takes a long time before this becomes evident. Fortunately, he got a bath earlier when Alexis did and I can just shuttle him off to an awaiting bed and tuck him in. I swear he was sleeping before I had left the room. I spent the rest of night watching 'Shaun of the Dead' with the Grandparents before sacking out myself at 2330. Standard day. Sleep comes quickly.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?