White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Middling of the week

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

 

Middling of the week

Whew! Getting half way through the treacherous,pestiferous work week has been a harrowing journey. More in a metaphysical sense than the tactile physical like the traffic I had to plow through to get home. Every minute that I leave work closer to 1700 is a slice of angst served up on a platter with a side of near-death hash browns. How would I like my exasperation? Sunny side up, yokels runny. Oh, with bacon too. Man, that's making me hungry. Speaking of hungry, when I did finally blast my way free of the scrapple masquerading as motor vehicle operators and get back to the Manor, I had to quickly make 2 grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids. Forgot to do that the night before. Upside is that they were nice and crisp, downside is that it takes a good 10-12 minutes to make each one. I barely managed to get that done AND let the hounds out to leave mountains of fecal matter on the lawn before the Mrs arrived for our evening S&R mission. She went in through the car-port airlock while I cranked up the back-hoe to clean up after the hounds. Once we both completed our 'waste matter disposal' activities, the kids were targeted as our next objective. Easy enough. We let them draw on the driveway with chalk for a bit before prodding them to go inside for dinner. I still had to mow the back-50 since it was going to rain. A little edge trimming and spraying weeds with agent-orange before wandering back inside to have my dinner.

You would think that it would be a fairly uneventful night given that 99% of the Haupertonian Weekday nights are, well, mundane. Jacob the Jovial Joker brought that axiom to a dreadful end. At a bit past midnight, I woke up from a restless sleep. Bolt up-right. My daddy-senses overrode my entire being and compelled me to dash off to the Kids Detainment Area. I some-how knew from a dead sleep that Jake has woken up and was calling for me. The monitor was off. The Mrs woke due to the flailing maneuver I performed to get out of the mile wide water bed and had followed me. She spent some time soothing Alexis who had woken up from all the commotion. Making a long story short, Jacob was itchy and it took a clothing change, a 55 gallon drum of lotion and a bit of antihistamine to get him to go back to a restless sleep. The Mrs took the brunt of his fomentation and was not very happy when 0600 rolled around. She was still asleep on the futon with Jake nestled up to her back. It took a bit of time to bring her into a cognizant state. I was nice about it so she did not take my head for my insolence. The kids were a bit clingy due to lack of sleep, but we still got out of the Manor territories before 0700. It's going to be a long day and we are only half way through the swamp.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?