White Lightning Axiom: Redux: HOT-HOT-HOT

Friday, April 29, 2005

 

HOT-HOT-HOT

I cannot believe how incredibly hot it was in the client site offices it was yesterday. For some reason, they had turned on the heat and it quickly went from 'comfortably toasty' to 'oppressively torrid'. The new space I am assigned to is populated by more computers than people and the fear of system failure (both human and HW) was authentic enough to spur the IT/OPS legions to start placing whole-house fans about the alleys to push the cold air in from the outside. It's unfortunate that this brand-new 'green' building is uninhabitable to all but plants. I was overjoyed when the day was over and I could escape my own little slice of Hades.

It's supposed to rain the whole day so when I arrived home, mowing the front expanse was tops on my list. I could get a bit of the arboreal management task done before conduction the daily S&R mission. Fortunately, I have raised the mower gunship deck a level on all for Anti-friction mobility actuators so the amount of clippings collected should be under 10 square yards. Sure, they are going to be dumped between the rows in the Agricultural Sector, but less is good since I have limited time. Even more fortunate, the wife arrived home before the projected 1900 hour deadline and I was able to complete the objective well before the sun set. Hate mowing the lawn in the dark. Never seem to keep my limbs intact.

Since I finished in the waning dusk, I took a few moments to dote over the sprouts breaking through the clay-laden hard-cake they call soil here in Pennsyltucky. The green beans were having a particularly bad time of it. Many of them started, but could not break out and rotted in place. After planting 3 rows at about 4 inches apart, I had a fist full of leftover seeds that I tossed in a hole near the cuccumbers and kicked some dirt over them. I did not give them a second thought as I tossed a bunch of grass clippings over the spot and figured that the nitrogen fixing would probably stunt or inhibit their germination. Boy, was I wrong. They sprouted up and grew like kudzu. In the end, I had a couple dozen 6 inch sprouts with robust leaves that I could transplant to the rows where there had been the 'catastrophy'. Dumb luck, eh?


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?