White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Good Friday

Friday, March 25, 2005

 

Good Friday

I slept through the night with not a single disruption or unfortunate waking. It makes me think that I might sleep better on a regular spring mattress than the mile wide water bed. Of course, when I present the idea to the Mrs, she looks at me like I have grown yet another head on my shoulders. Only this newest addition is even more offensive and vacant than the last. I think that we will be replacing the old bed with a new one but the mechanics will still involve water in a giant rubber vessel. My dreams rapidly fade away into the psychic bit-bucket as the dogs start to voice their consternation resulting from the emptiness of their stomachs and the fullness of their bladders. Not my idea of sleeping in, but 0645 is not entirely too early since I managed to sleep through the night.

After an hour or so, Alexis wakes to a world that befuddles her. Grams and Gramps had removed the front of the crib that they had obtained to lure us into visiting more often. Alexis was sleeping in the modified crib while Jacob was ensconced in the quilts that covered the old bed that I slept in for a large slice of my youthful years. So Alexis wanders about for a few minutes, making it known that assistance and comfort is required. I lead her to the door of the Grandparents bedroom where she immediately realized that there were adults within to harass who would be susceptible to her charms. Or fearful of her wrath. Whatever it takes. Shortly thereafter, Jake stirs and wobbles off to woo his way into the hearts of the ancestors. Not a tough job, mind you. After a bit, the family proper, minus the Mrs, migrate to the lower levels and get our day underway. The Mrs does her best to get in an extra hour of so of sleep in, but soon forces her reluctant body out of bed and joins in on the activities. By then, Jake is playing with the electric toy train set and Super Mom is busy rustling up a bit of breakfast consisting of French toast and other assorted morning vittles.

Later on in the morning, Hero Dad and I go out with the twins and the hounds for a walk. Actually, Gramps is going to haul the kids in a wagon while I negotiate with the hounds for a bit of discipline so they don't drag me about the local roads like a rag doll flopping about behind an A1 Abrams. The dogs seem to enjoy the walk as much as the kids. Hero dad and I are getting a fairly robust work-out. We take a second round just for good measure. After we finish, we pack everyone into the Family Tank and head off to the Ithaca ScienceCenter for a bit of fun. The kids like the interactive water displays. They like them enough to soak up 33% of the water with their clothing. We spend a good hour there with the last moments of our visit concentrated in the animal room. Mostly looking at the corn snakes. Gramps is not entirely fond of snakes and neither was the other male visitor other there other than myself. I've had a bit of history with snakes and I don't mind them all that much. The kids were fascinated. If their curiosity with reptiles is anything like mine, I expect to find an unwelcome visitor or two on the Manor grounds in the future.

After we depart our beloved ScienceCenter, we run off to the Holy shrine of Wegmans for a quick visit. After a bit of waffling, Alexis picks out some pink rosebuds for Grams while Jake quietly sits and watches the model train makes its rounds on the raised track in the bulk candy section. The Mrs thinks I should put a similar construction in Jake's room when I renovate his room. I think she is a crazy despot, but I try not to say so out loud. I wonder if I could get away with a smaller HO scale train. We only spend about 30-45 minutes in the store and probably cover a fraction of the display space. This food-monger has everything from a coffee bar to day-care for shoppers to leave kids in professional care while they sample the goods displayed. Magnificent establishment. There are apparently plans to have one built near us soon, I am giddy with anticipation. While the Mrs and I look about in child-like wonder, the kids have nodded off in the shopping carts. It is turning into a fabulous day.

After we get home, we carefully put the kids to bed with laser-like precision so as to not wake them. Nothing is more onerous than a toddler woken too early from a nap. In standard style, the kids sleep for a few hours, but Alexis wakes on the wrong side of the bed. She slowly returns to a more amiable demeanor before dinner where we all have a professionally, yet provincial styled meal of shrimp, crab, rice and clam chowder. It is 'fish Friday' after all. Oh, and a desert of ice-cream which is greatly appreciated by the children .. and the twins too.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?