White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Reset, restart, IPL.

Monday, February 21, 2005

 

Reset, restart, IPL.

Jake was up early today, complaining and moaning. It was 0500 and I was not ready to greet the world yet. The Mrs hauled him into bed and he did not seem content to just lay there. No, he wanted his milk and he wanted to watch TV. Not quite in our right minds, we gave in to his subtle hints by letting him have his way. We did this by not stopping him from taking his bottle from the fridge and putting it into the microwave that we keep next to our bed in the master suite. I helped him with the microwave of course. He would put the bottle in sideways and the heat would cause the milk to shoot out the nipple. Not a good thing. I hoisted the littlest giant onto the water bed and let the Mrs restrain him for the 60 seconds it would take to heat the bottle. He was extremely incensed that this indignity should be thrust upon him, but was quickly silenced by the soothing properties of a warm breakfast. He watched the television for a bit, finished his bottle and then went in search of Grams. Much to his dismay, she was gone. I jumped in the shower while the Mrs dealt with his exasperation. During the night, we managed to get another 2 inches of slop posing as snow. If today were not a govt/bank/school holiday, the traffic would be outlandish. The plows were only making things worse. As I pulled out of the Manor, there was a mountain of near frozen slush piled up across the street. I know if I hit this going at any speed, I would either incur grave damage to the Super Saturn, or loose control/get hung up. Chose wisely, I did. Go around anything you do not have to go through. There is an old Boy Scout axiom like that: Step over anything you do not have to step on, step around anything you do not have to step over. Works for operating a motor vehicle as well.

In spite of the massive snow removal incompetence, I get to work quickly and without incident. Speaking of incompetence, the table change I requested was done at 1730 on Friday afternoon. Yes, 45 minutes after I had left for the day. I immediately launched the processes this morning at 0730 to pull in data and load the tables when I saw the message. I had put together a script that could be called and would do the 4 tasks that needed to execute. It is 1300 and the processes are still loading the table. Oh, more on incompetence ... the water department sent us yet another bill for the 'Meter Privilege' fee for the lawn sprinkler meter they forgot to remove for a month. This little dispute over 27$ has been going on for about 5 months now. We have been getting assurances that this will be rectified by several parties and still nothing has been done. The Mrs will be going over there today with the Crack Haupertonian Nano-bot Ninja Corps to crack some skulls. It makes me want to sink a well and be done with this nonsense! Since the external sprinklers just put the water back into the ground, I cant see this as being a big issue. I don't even need the water to be treated. So I don't end the day on a sour note, the Mrs informed me that our Neighborly Neighbor Gus came over and cleaned off the driveway with his 3000 hp snow blower and Atmospheric modification device. I guess this is his way of saying thanx for the nuts that I gave him before they flew off to Greece. We need to invite them over to dinner sometime. Or out, whatever is easier.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?