White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Mostly Sleepless in Huntingdon Valley

Monday, February 14, 2005

 

Mostly Sleepless in Huntingdon Valley

Last night was a disaster. The first nick in the armor of Haupertonian Clan Cohesion was the battle to the death with Alexis. She has had a nagging cough and chest congestion for some time now. The Mrs and I have had a difficult time giving her any medicine to relieve her. It would do her good to have a restful nights sleep. She had other perception. We had to pin her to the floor and wedge a spoon in her mouth to keep her from spitting out the cough medicine. It was the most violent administration for pharma I have ever had the misfortune to participate in. Once we were finished and made sure that 95% of it made it past her mouth, she got up and walked away like nothing had happened. Argh. Little manipulators, these offspring are. After the bath, milk and story time, the Mrs and I went on with our evening. I laid down on the floor for a moment to rest before I went back to my typical evening duties of preparing for the next day. The Mrs had some show on about the medical achievements of the last decade or century or something. I was not really paying any mind to it, just background noise. Then, in stumbles Jacob and lays down next to me. Little bugger made it out of bed again. He was more than pleased to snuggle up to me and stare at the electronic garbage nipple. Luckily enough, 102 Dalmatians was on the Disney channel and we watched that for the next hour or so. He pretty much stayed put and was thrilled that there was a steam locomotive in the show. Puppies AND trains, it doesn't get any better than that! After the show was over, we tried to get him to go to bed, but he was up to his new tricks again. When we were down in the kitchen, he went over and turned on the light in his room to read a book. This woke up Alexis and she thought it was time to get up. Not good. Eventually, the Mrs convinced him to lay down on the futon and go to sleep. Good job Mrs MDMHVONPA.

It is 0300 and Alexis is awake. Awake and not too happy about it. We were not interested in trying to wake up full so the Mrs just dragged her into bed and let the little one lay beside her. The Mrs dresses in full battle gear when she goes to bed. I, being the fully engaged supernova of heat emission, dress only in shorts. This does not escape Alexis's sharp evaluation of her environment and she promptly scuttles over to my side of the mile wide water bed. I spend the rest of the night with her laying over my arm and snuggled up against me. I am acutely aware of this and do my best to suppress any coughs or urges to roll over. The next 3+ hours pass slowly and I wake with either a mild migraine or a sever tension headache. Alexis, on the other hand, is quite perky and refreshed. Ahhh, the spoils of Monday Morning. It is cold enough so that the seriously depleted battery in the Super Saturn will not turn over. I think it is time for a new battery since this one will not hold a charge anymore. The more cash I pour into this auto, the more it needs. Four more years ... that's all I need out of it. Fortunately for me, I had the Porta-Jump so I could get the car started with little difficulty. I think I'll be making a trip to BJ's soon to get that new battery. It'll be a weekend job if it is not raining. Or snowing. Snowing like it is this morning. Making traffic on the turnpike really awful. It's Monday, get over it.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?