White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Weekend bliss

Saturday, January 29, 2005

 

Weekend bliss

The litany of physical ailments continues to mount. Like barbarians at the gate, they assail and siege the body fortress. My left arm still hurts like someone gave me a good pounding from the tetanus shot. I had better get cut with a rusty nail or something or I'll be pretty tweaked. I was doing a cartwheel for the kids the other night and I've managed to pull a flat muscle over my rib cage. I AM NOT OLD, dammit. Ok, maybe out of shape and all, but jeeze, it was just a cartwheel. I can be such a child sometimes. I spent most of Saturday morning bringing in wood from the Back 50 and am a little pooped from that. Forging through the snow, lugging a big old BJ's tote filled with frozen wood, slipping and stumbling over hidden perils ... ahhh, the wonders of winter. I wonder if this 2 hours of labor will count towards the 30 minutes of exercise I'm supposed to be getting three times a week.

We are supposed to have the Seliga's over for dinner tonight, so once the kids were in bed for their afternoon nap, I started to get to work on the evening smorgasbord. I started out with the rice and broccoli soup, but somehow managed to muff it up. I spent too much time toasting the rice and not enough time cooking it. It ended up with the consistency of a thickened 'Cream of Wheat' and significantly more bland. Oh well, looks like I'll be eating that for lunch this week. While the broccoli BioCement was hardening, I started on the Provincial Chicken with Garlic Explosions. The Mrs loves this dish, especially the 400 or so roasted garlic cloves. I guess it's her way of thwarting my hourly amorous advances. Finally, the two-kielbasa with onion and mushroom 'stir-fry'. One of my favorites, of course. Nothing bad can come from a sausage skin! The Mrs had to head out shopping for this one since we did not have the red,green and yellow peppers or the Yukon gold potatoes. The delay was absorbed by the fact that we can depend on the Seligas being at least 30 minutes late. Its tradition! Good thing too since I always underestimate the prep time for the meal. Once the Mrs returned, she set about getting the table ready for our guests and setting up the playroom for the eventual assault on sanity.

The meal was served and there were sufficient left overs to be sent off with our guests. The play time for the kids produced a total mad house. It was nice due mostly to the fact that the kids had more heads to throw things at, thus reducing the number of contusions and concussions for the Mrs and I.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?