White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Road Rage And You

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

 

Road Rage And You

Ugh. I spend quite a bit of time in my car every day. By that, I mean at least an hour total. Sometimes up to 2.5 hours. It may seem trivial at first glance, but in some circles, putting 70 miles under your belt a day is considered insane. This daily dosage of petro expenditure comes at a great cost to my morality. I'm not talking about spending 20$ for ten gallons of fuel every Wednesday (mow the lawn Wednesday, of course), but my ever growing disgust at even minor personal infractions committed by my fellow motorists. I even get upset when someone engages in maneuvers I myself would do if I were in their shoes. I catch myself quite often thinking of how I will screw up that person's commute when I get the chance. I try very hard to counter this 'victim retaliation' mentality when I feel it coming on. I think this bizarre turn came to me in small steps. An infringement here and a violation there have pushed me into a place where I consider virtually everyone around me as some sort of bellicose obliviate. Their world ends about 1 inch outside their bodies or the bodies of their car. In our culture of instant gratification and the promotion of self, we are our own victims. I need to really try not to allow myself to get so inflamed by the actions of others who don't comprehend or put any foresight into the potential outcome of their misguided actions. This kind of anger will burn me up and probably end up leaking into other facets of my life. I can not and will not allow that to happen. Even now, when my turrets syndrome like outbursts are mimicked by my daughter, I realize that it may be time to become that much more a better person.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?