White Lightning Axiom: Redux: Swamp Heat

Friday, May 21, 2004

 

Swamp Heat

Every morning, I try to get to work some time between 7 and 8am. Closer to 7 is better. This morning I made it in by 7:45 which I can live with, since most of the people I work with dont get here until well after 9. In any event, I like to listen to a few chanels that play classical music. One station in particular, Temple Radio, has a program that schedules 'March' music by Susa at 7:15. I try to switch over to that just before I get to the Turnpike. Ah yes, the turnpike. I have a 30 mile commute, most of which is done on the part of the turnpike designated as I276. There is a stretch of this road between where I get on and 2 exits down that are always backed up. There is no particularly good reason for this. It could be the merge traffic from the RT309 interchange, it could be the huge electronic sign that flashes worthless messages that people slow down to read, it could be that I just need to get my shiftless ass out of bed a bit earlier to avoid this mess. As it is, the twins take turns waking up at 5:30 and invoking my attention. If I dont haul them out and start tending to them, the dogs start to whine and that is impossible to sleep through. In any event, I fetch the binary center of my universe and start them off with a couple of bottles of milk, spiked with vitamins and heated for exactly 1 minute in the microwave positioned next the california king waterbed I bought back in 1992 when I worked at DEC. They patiently wait while I change them and get them ready for the coming day. Fresh diapers and clothes go on while Pooh and friends entertain their forming minds. Then off to let the pups out to destroy my lawn with their caustic fluids. Fill the bowls with food that costs more than I ever expected and back upstairs to fetch the kids. By this time, Joyce has wandered into the bathroom to brush her teeth and tend to the empty sockets in her mouth where her wisdom teeth used to be. I grab a quick shower and prep for the comming day. And my time with the radio. Today didnt start on time because the kids slept in, but we managed. Since I got started later, I missed my Susa fix and caught the weather and news instead. The weatherperson indicated that it was going to be in the low 90s on Saturday with a chance of showers or thunder storms. Sunday was supposed to be in the low to mid 90's with increased chance of thunder storms. I start to feel better about mowing my lawn on Thursday but I am very apprehensive about the predictions of the Amazonian atmosphere predicted for the weekend. The time when I will be home all day, outside of this refrigerated environment that I work in. The anxiety of having to endure summer so soon makes my heart sink. The news comes on and immediatly starts bleating about the 'torture' pictures from Iraq. I turn off the radio and start to contemplate how to salvage the remainder of my day. Low 90's ... it might be time to turn on the AC.

UPDATE
I've just finished visiting Lileks Backfence and I think I would MOVE to Minnesota if his first condition were true. The wife, however, would most likely commit me.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?